Performance Load Testing
Jan 10, 2018Pasadena, California
Performance and Capacity Engineer V
Location: Pasadena, CA
Client is focused on unleashing the full economic potential of digital media companies. We do this by making digital advertising markets and technologies that are designed to deliver optimal value to publishers and advertisers on every ad served across all screens.
The client has built a team that is uniquely experienced in designing and operating high-scale ad marketplaces, and we are constantly on the lookout for thoughtful, creative executors who are as fascinated as we are about finding new ways to apply a blend of market design, technical innovation, operational excellence, and empathetic partner service to the frontiers of digital advertising.
Client’s production systems include globally distributed data centers, hundreds of gigabits of internet bandwidth, tens of thousands of machines, hundreds of petabytes of data, and hundreds of application services. All of this provides a real time bidding platform that processes over a trillion transactions per day.Technology Operations (TechOps) is a team of multiple groups of engineers who are responsible for productionalizing applications and systems, maintaining performance and reliability, and managing the infrastructure at scale through the development of automation and tooling.
Client is seeking a Performance and Capacity Engineer to join the Performance Engineering team of TechOps to focus on optimizing the utilization of our infrastructure as well as improving the performance of our applications.
You will be at the intersection of Product Engineering, Data Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, and other business teams to ensure we deliver high quality products.
● Understand the business’s needs and propose areas of focus for performance and capacity engineering efforts ● Improve the performance and capacity engineering practice through the development of new processes, tools, and documentation as well as mentoring and coaching more junior engineers ● Plan and drive complex performance and capacity engineering projects with Product Engineering, Data Engineering, and Infrastructure Engineering to identify root causes of performance issues ● Rapidly deconstruct complex systems in order to design and execute performance experiments and test plans on systems across different tiers of our application stack ● Develop data analysis frameworks to process and report on data gathered from performance tests to identify root cause of performance bottlenecks ● Tune application, operating system, and virtual machine settings as well as work with software component owners to drive towards resolving performance bottlenecks
● Record of creating improvements in stability, performance and scalability across major business-critical systems
● Demonstrable experience mentoring and training new engineers
● Track record of planning and driving complex performance and capacity engineering projects
● Demonstrable ability to quickly understand new systems and exercise deep technical knowledge to design and execute tests, the results from which can be used to address performance issues
● Deep technical understanding of: ○ HTTP, TCP/IP, networking technologies ○ Distributed system design ○ Client/server network application development ○ Data systems such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka ○ Linux process and memory management ○ Containers and virtual machines ○ Server and network hardware ○ Cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, or GCP
● Experience creating test plans on a load testing tool such as JMeter or LoadRunner
● Experience identifying and resolving architecture, software, virtual machine, operating system, hardware, and network system bottlenecks
● Ability to write tooling in a programming language such as PERL, Python, Java, Erlang, or GoLang